Monday, July 28, 2014

Craft: Meal Cards

One of my most difficult wifely challenges has been meals. Choosing what to cook, shopping for ingredients, then preparing the meal. Ugh. This whole ordeal has kept me always feeling like a failure. I always go over budget and almost always forget ingredients. I am a decent cook so at least that is something.

I've began shopping at Aldi and I really love it! I've had a few produce mishaps but quickly learned you have got to be very careful about picking out your produce there, I even eat a grape before I buy a bag. Carefully check strawberries for mold, etc. Shopping for groceries has become a lot less frustrating and I rarely go over our budget. Though another Aldi problem at the beginning was the small selection, which has actually become a blessing. Aldi has everything you need for simple meals, and cooking simple meals has made my life easier. Also if I forget to grab something (I always do) I don't have to walk half a mile to go get it, Aldi is tiny and  no one will complain they are plagued by too many choices. My favorite thing at Aldi is the organic grass fed ground beef, my husband and I can taste the difference and it is delicious. I still go to Trader Joes every few months and stock up on marinara, refried beans, frozen eggplant parm, etc.

Aldi solved my shopping/budgeting issues but I was still at a loss on mundane meal planning.  My husband is no help, if I ask there is no answer. So I made some meal cards of every meal I enjoy cooking and eating!
I took a small amount of  time while Jeremy and I were watching a movie to write down all of our family meals on plain white cards. Then I jotted the ingredients and the simplified cooking process down on the back. This has made making my grocery list easier having all of the ingredients listed so accessibly. I also forget how to cook certain things if it's been a while so that was made simpler for me as well.
  I used pretty scotch masking tape on the edges and covered a fridge clip with the same.  Now all I do is hand my husband the fat stack and he is happy to sift through and pick out meals.
 I have him pick three, and I will pick one. That way if he picks mostly meals that contain meat I can cook a meatless meal or if he picks time consuming meals I can pick a quick meal. etc.

  I wrote slow cooker on the crock pot meals- I work three days a week so I will cook one of those a week. His excitement makes me excited and it also makes me feel appreciated which is something we all want!

UPDATE- It's been four month since I began this and it's still going strong! I've added quite a few meal options to my collection and I'm so happy I began this process.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment